The Queen of Daytime (and, let’s face it — all media) is ending her show next year with 25 seasons under her belt. That makes the annual Oprah’s Favorite Things holiday gift guide especially poignant this year.
Billed as Oprah’s Ultimate Favorite Things this year, part one airs Friday (Nov. 19) with sponsorship by FedEx. Consistently the show’s most watched episode since it first aired in 2002, this year’s promises: two audiences, two hours, Black Eyed Peas, Josh Groban, Johnny Mathis, a “humungous twist” — and a really, really big box to be unwrapped.
While Winfrey has confirmed that her book club (which makes or breaks authors and publishing houses) is going with her to OWN, her Discovery-backed cable network launching in January, it’s unclear whether her “favorite things” franchise will also make the trip to Oz; er, OWN.[more]
It’s actually been two years since her last Favorite Things extravaganza. In 2008, due to the economy, Oprah touted more modest, homemade gifts. Last year she skipped it entirely.
So all eyes will be watching tomorrow as she waves her magic wand for the last time — potentially sparking a shopping frenzy in a brand give-away extravaganza for the audience, and a year-end boon to brands who may be worried about frugal holiday shoppers this year.
Australia’s Ugg brand, for one, should have her on their permanent Christmas card list for all the love she’s shown them over the years. Other brands that made her previous years’ favorite things list include:
• Samsung HD Camcorder (SC-HMX10C)
• UGG Australia Classic Crochet Boots
• Toywatch Crystal Watches
• Williams-Sonoma (Perfect Endings Cupcakes and melamine bowls)
• KitchenAid Artisan Mixer
• Discovery Channel‘s Planet Earth DVD set
Audience members received credit cards valued at $1000 each, and a camcorder. Oprah’s request: pay it forward and videotape the good deed.
The audience was composed of volunteers from Hurricane Katrina.
• Philip Stein Teslar Diamond Watch
• Burberry Coat and Purse
• UGG Australia‘s Uptown Boot
• Garrett Popcorn Shops’ CaramelCrisp and CheeseCorn Tin
• Apple‘s iPod
• BlackBerry 7105T from T-Mobile
• Sony VAIO FJ Notebook
• Burberry Quilted Jacket and Cashmere Scarf
• Dell 30” Wide-Screen LCD TV
• Maytag Neptune Top-Load Washer and Drying Center
• Dooney & Bourke Leather Duffle Bag
• Miraval Resort and Spa – Life in Balance
• Dell Pocket DJ
• Sony VAIO S260 Notebook computer
• Frontgate’s Portable DVD Player
• Ralph Lauren Black Label Cashmere Slim Fit Crewneck Sweater
• MAC Cosmetic Carrying Case
• Nike Dri-FIT Workout Outfit
• BlackBerry Wireless E-mail Device
• UGG Classic Short Boots
• Sony DCR-DVD200 Handycam
• Piper-Heidsieck Champagne
• Kiehl‘s Limited Edition Gift Box
• Johnny Mathis, The Christmas Album CD
• The Power of Now book by Eckhart Tolle
• Samsung mobile phone/camera
• Wafer-Thin CD System